Training Funding Scheme
Aim of the scheme:
This scheme creates an opportunity for research teams to apply for funding to host trial methodology related training events in Ireland.
These events will help increase the knowledge base nationally, with respect to trial methodology and help improve the efficiency of randomised trials being conducted in Ireland.
The specific objectives of the HRB-TMRN Training Funding Scheme are to:
- Build capacity and knowledge in trial methodology research nationally;
- Create opportunities for strategic national and international collaboration through networking with recognised leaders in these areas;
- Position Ireland as a leader in trial methodology.
This scheme will help fund (or part-fund) any training event format, so long as the topic is relevant to trial methodology, such as;
- Workshops / seminars
- Summer / Winter schools
Subject to capacity and interest, these events can be made available to a wider audience nationally, using the core network organisational supports; such as online registration management and online promotion of activities.
- Up to €2,000 per event to cover costs associated with organising and delivering the event, including travel of international speakers to Ireland.
The scheme will not fund:
- Current HRB-funded researchers who hold a budget line in an existing grant for the same workshops or conferences as part of dissemination;
- Drinks receptions;
- Development of new educational materials;
- Development of an outreach campaign using media such as television, radio or print;
- Placement/exchange visits for key personnel;
- Promotional tools such as information brochures, plain language summaries, newsletters or policy briefs.
- Any proposed training event must be held on the island of Ireland.
- Training events must be relevant to trial methodology.
- Completed applications must address all assessment criteria identified.
- Research teams must be able to independently organise and host proposed training events.
Application and assessment process, and criteria
Applicants should complete and submit the short application form to the HRB-TMRN via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) for consideration.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
This call is a rolling call and applications are considered throughout the year, subject to annual funding commitment availability. It is envisaged that the HRB-TMRN will commit to five awards annually.
[Note: Research teams wishing to apply for funding in excess of €2,000, should contact the HRB-TMRN Programme Manager by email to express interest]
All applications submitted will undergo an initial eligibility check and will then be subject to a HRB-TMRN led review process, based on the criteria outlined below.
Part A (70% of the score)
- Relevance of training to trial methodology or systematic review methodology;
- Identified a clear gap in training in this area;
Part B (30% of score)
- Appropriate programme and budget
- The budget requested must reflect the scale and nature of the proposed activities